Upgrading Joomla 1.5.15 to 1.5.17 and newer versions
Upgrading Joomla using the C-Panel
Usually Fantastico is ready to upgrade to the newest version of Joomla however, today I completed a 2-step upgrade because I was tired of waiting for Fantastico DeLuxe to present the new upgraded version of Joomla. Normally Joomla has a zip file allowing one upgrade step at a time. You can avoid many errors by progressing one upgrade version at a time, and even then some of the third party modules and components have to be reinstalled to work correctly if you receive errors. Since Joomla 1.5.16 and Joomla 1.5.17 were so closely released the Download page held one zip file containing both upgrades thereby allowing one step to upgrade from Joomla 1.5.15 to the current Joomla 1.5.17. If your Fantastico does not have the easy upgrade, and you do not want to manually upgrade with your FTP transfer (sometimes a slower process), here are the C-panel steps to take:
- Check your current version of Joomla from the Administrator Log-In using the Help drop-down menu at the top:
- Back up your Joomla site before upgrading ESPECIALLY if you are running a live site. SitePoint has a tutorial about this, and I highly recommend Akeeba for backing up your Joomla site.
- Download the zip file from Joomla.org to your computer.
- Do not extract it, just keep it in its zip file format
- Save this zip file where you can find it later. I keep all my upgrade files together in a Joomla/Upgrades folder on my C drive.
- Open up your C-panel and double click on File Manager
- Locate the folder containing the Joomla installation. Highlight the joomla folder (I found mine under www/joomla)
- Select Upload from the top of the C-Panel
- The Browse window will open on a new page to allow you to Upload the zip file from your computer to the folder where your Joomla installation exists (selected from the last step – the path will also show on this Upload page). This Joomla folder might be under /home/user_name/public_html/ but here is a picture of my Joomla folder location. Once a file is entered the Upload will start automatically and a progression bar will follow your upload. You can close this page after the upload is complete. I did not select Overwrite Files because I wanted to save my settings. For this example I have changed my Account Name (found in parenthesis at the top of your C-panel above Preferences in a window Switch Accounts) for user_name.
- At this point you have the zip file you just uploaded in your File Manager inside the Joomla folder. You need to extract the zip file by highlighting the zip file in File Manager, then selecting the Extract button at the top of the page.
- Check your site to ensure that you installed the Joomla version correctly. First select Help from the top bar after signing into the Joomla Administrator back end. From the drop down menu under Help select System Info and you should see your current Joomla Version under the System Info tab as shown below:
- Check that any 3rd party modules, components and plug-ins are working correctly. If they are not, re-install them.
I hope this helps, and remember that Joomla.org has a tutorial on Upgrading Joomla 1.5 from an existing 1.5x version which will help you if you need to upload an update without the use of a C-Panel. There is also a free extension available that I have not tried, but many Joomla user’s love to use calledUpdate Manager for Joomla, listed under Core Enhancements>Installers on the Joomla extension page.